Oral Cancer Warning Signs You Need To Know
Oral cancer is something we all need to know about as over 56,000 North Americans will be diagnosed this year, and of those, nearly 11,000 will die because of it. The key is to catch it in its early stages and begin treatment immediately.
When we talk about oral cancer, we are including cancer of the soft tissues of the tongue, cheek, tonsils, soft palate, pharynx, lips, and salivary glands.
The most commons symptoms of oral cancer may include:
- swollen lumps or bumps inside the mouth and on the gums
- red or white patches in the mouth
- bleeding or numbness in any area of the mouth or neck
- sores that last longer than two weeks
- difficulty chewing, swallowing, or moving the jaw
- ear pain
- persistent cough
- breathing problems
- voice changes (hoarseness usually)
- a change in how teeth fit together.
Like any other health concerns, changes in your mouth should not be ignored. If you’re experiencing anything out of the ordinary, contact us, your dentist in Mississauga, for an oral cancer screening to investigate.